Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Widmer Deadlift Imperial IPA

I've been drinking craft beer for quite some time now.  About 14 years ago while off to college I got a nice job at a little liquor store.  In Wisconsin going to school at UW Madison there was a plethora of very good beers, and I came to realize this to it's fullest while working at Riley's Wines of the World.  At Riley's we dominated the town.   Everyone came to Riley's from the frat boys, the hippies, professors, the locals, everyone.  Once I got my job there, I ended up getting all of my friends jobs as well.  While all the kids were in the front of the house buying up kegs of crap beer, me and my boys were making money in the back of the cooler all the while sampling the plethora of different local and national craft beers.  After college many of  my friends ended up working for different wine or beer distributors across the nation after they graduated.   I didn't, although I'm obviously obsessed with beer.   But my boy Pauli ended up getting a great job out in Portland working for Widmer.  That was before they became a part of the Craft Brewers Alliance.  He's still working for them out in Tacoma, WA and he's got some great brands to stand behind.

Now, I guess I gotta talk about the IIPA from Widmer.

This is a nice IIPA, nothing that amazing though. The aroma of citrus and piney hops is definitely in the forfront.  It taste's  malty and very caramelly which doesn't bother me at all.     You get some sweetness up front and then it finish's with a little bitterness.  As it warms the piney hops become much more present.  My mouth waters after every sip.  The carbonation seems a bit low to me.  I gotta say...this is a decent beer but nothing I'd claim as the best beer in the world, but I'm not exactly going to be going raving to Pauli.

No comments:

Post a Comment