Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Olvalde Farm and Brewing Company - The Auroch's Horn


Appearance:
Very nice orange appearance that’s a bit hazy living up to the unfiltered claim.
Thin wispy head the recedes pretty quick, possibly due to the glass I’m using.  

Aroma: Lots of clove, a bit of banana, honey, and some fusels.  Aroma is chalk full of Belgian yeast, possible Wit yeast or some other clove, banana producing yeast.

Flavor: The flavor is all clove and honey with a bit of pilsner malt as a back bone.   Fairly sweet and not too dry at all which I was expecting with all of the honey.   I’m having a hard time detecting malt and hops which plays a background role to the honey and flavorful Belgian yeast.

Mouthfeel:  The mouthfeel is surprisingly medium to full bodied which is surprising.  I was expecting highly carbonated saison type tartness, but I got a full bodied sweet braggot with lower carbonation.   I’m not complaining, I don’t believe I’ve ever had a Minnesota beer that I’ve ever enjoyed as much as this.  

Overall:  This is a great beer, not necessarily something that I could drink every night.  It’s like a Belgian Strong ale, mixed with a Belgian Wit, mixed with a Braggot.  Or, maybe it’s just a Braggot…I don’t believe I’ve ever had a braggot unless you consider a Saison with Honey a braggot.  Fusels definitely start to hit you as it warms up and so does the alcohol as you get half way through the bottle. 

I am so frickin pumped to see what else this brewery brings to the market.  Can’t wait to visit the Farmhouse brewery on my way to La-X!

1 comment:

  1. I know...I never got my hands on that one. I wish they'd re-release those as a line. What's the deal with Surly 5? Pentagram was amazing I thought so I've been waiting and waiting for the release.

    ReplyDelete