Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bellegems Bruin - West Flanders Ale

This is my first ever Oud Bruin and I picked it up at The Four Firkin.  I've had a few examples of Flanders Red Ales but never their Brown version.

appearance: Brown to Reddish
aroma: is a bit leathery, funky, cherry and grape.
flavor:  is like a sweet grape popsicle.  Some cherry in there as well.    A little bit of acid in the back of the throat with some vinegar.
mouthfeel: a bit thin with low carbonation
overall:  much sweeter then expected.  I really liked it, but I think I prefer the Flanders Reds mo betta.  Not quite enough acid for my taste.

I think that they must back sweeten this beer, otherwise I can't figure out how they could possibly make this beer so sweet.  Almost too sweet for my taste.  A really good beer that I'd probably buy again, but I'd like to try some other examples of the style so that I have something to compare it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment